Install via Godot
To maintain one source of truth, Godot Asset Library is just a mirror of the old asset library so you can download directly on Godot via the integrated asset library browser
A Godot plugin for painting foliage and props on any 3D surface
What is it for?
It's meant to simplify foliage placement in a natural-feeling way without having to use heightmap terrain or writing procedural placement algorithms.
It can also handle thousands of foliage instances without completely tanking the FPS (with an reasonable setup).
This is a single player plugin and works best with finite medium-sized scenes. Think platformers, shooters, adventure games, anything with a hand-made level.
This plugin requires at least Godot v3.4.2, but should work fine on any subsequent versions (excluding Godot 4.0).
Its relatively stable on Windows, but not tested on other platforms.
Want a test-drive? Go to Releases and get the most recent windows build:
This plugin is installed the same way as other Godot plugins.
Download the code by clicking green
Code button and then
Download ZIP. Unpack it anywhere you like.
Copy the folder
res://addons/ in your Godot project and enable it from
Project -> Project Settings -> Plugins.
For a detailed guide you can refer to my tutorial.
It comes in two formats, depending on your preference:
Their contents are the same, but video better illustrates each step due to being a video, duh.
If you want to report a bug or request a feature, you should do so on GitHub using
Refer here for more details.
Sponsor this project
You're welcome to support me on:
This will help make updates for this plugin and embark on any new projects I set my eyes on.
Or join me on my Discord:
You can use 'Spatial Gardener' logos on the basis of 'fair use' whenever you mention this plugin (e.g. in a video review/tutorial).
As long as you don't modify them in any way, claim as your own or redistribute/resell you should be fine.
Algorithms and code architecture
- THE MAIN inspiration for algorithms behind this plugin - mux213 and their writeup
- Ideas for UI and sphere brush implementations - Unreal Engine Team
- An article that helped me understand the basics of octrees - Introduction to Octrees by Eric Nevala
- A plugin I inspected to understand Godot's plugin-making - Zylann's HeightMap Terrain
- Locomotive and train carts (used as base meshes) - Low Poly Wild West Train Diorama by Jorma Rysky
- Buildings, caudron, crate, barrel - eval Village Pack by Quaternius
- Long island - Animated Rhino Loop on Floating Fantasy Islands by LasquetiSpice
- Small islands - Interdimensional Floating Islands by Artbake Graphics
- Sphere-like island 1, clouds - Low Poly Flying Island by Mohamed Fsili
- Sphere-like island 2, clouds - Low Poly Island by davevink
- Apple tree, wheat, carrot - Ultimate Crops Pack by Quaternius
- Daisies - Environoment Pack V.1 by Zsky
- Grass - Dreadpon (me :3)
- Grass tall, rocks - Low Poly Nature Pack by sjolle
- Liana, moss, bush, bush 1 - Free Mid Poly Stylized Swamp Remastered by EmacEArt
- Rocks, tree pine - Big LowPoly Environment Pack by zisongb
- Tree generic - Free Low Poly Forest by purepoly
- Curved tree - FREE Remastered - Free Mid Poly Meadows by EmacEArt
- Planet - Planet by P6c6970
- Default Blender monkey - Suzanne by SLiD3
- Jump, land, step rock, step wood - 12 Player Movement SFX by leohpaz
- Step dirt - 4 dry snow steps by qubodup
- Steam engine - Steam boiler sound loop by bart
- Rails - Roller coaster by Bruce Burbank
- Birds singing - Peaceful ambiance in pine forest by dobroide
- Wind blowing - Wind blowing gusting through french castle tower by Astounded
- Trailer music - Where We Wanna Go by Patrick Patrikios
- Tree sprites - Tree Collection v2.6 - Bleed's Game Art by Bleed
- Surface normal illustration - Curved surface showing the unit normal vectors by Chetvorno
- Button prompts - FREE Keyboard and controllers prompts pack by xelu
A plugin for painting plants and props on arbitrary 3D surfaces.